Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Momisms and Other Expressions

Heard at Home During My Youth
  • "Don't get your water hot."

  • "What are you trying to do, heat the outdoors?"

  • "If I hear one more peep out of you . . . ."
      (Followed by the inevitable "Peep")

  • "Firstname Middlename Lastname, you stop that this minute!"

  • "Think of all the starving kids in China who would love to have that."

  • "If you don't stop that I'm gonna knock you into the middle of next week."

  • "I hope that when you grow up you have kids that are just like you."
      (The only curse universally recognized as effective.)

  • "Because I said so."

  • "A grasss in the snake" and "Don't put all your baskets in one chicken."
      (Both from Dad)

  • "If I have to come up there . . . ."

  • "Be nice to your brother."

  • "I'm going to count to three."

  • "We'll see."

  • "Did you say 'Thank you?'"

  • "If Johnny jumped off the bridge would you jump off the bridge too?"

  • "What has gotten into you?"

  • "I'll give you something to cry about."

  • "If it was a snake it would bite you."

  • "You'd lose your head if it wasn't screwed on."

  • "Same thing, only different."

  • "We went to different schools together."

No comments: