Friday, November 2, 2012

Unconnected Random Memories

  • Thinking about the names of people I have known, four curious cases have popped into my mind:
    1. Deosa Choles and Courtney Eversole, who have names I consider delightful.
    2. Justin Case, whom I met while working at IBM. On our introduction I thought *immediately* "There is nothing I can say that he hasn't heard already," and I simply expressed my pleasure at meeting him.
    3. Seymour Samuels III, a second lieutenant when I met him in Grafenwoehr, Germany. The civilian woman who did the officers' payrolls had a little routine whenever she typed his name. As she typed she would say aloud "Seymour Samuels one two three," the last three words in synch with the keystrokes for the individual I's.

  • Returning to my apartment in Falls Church, Virginia, after work, I found myself in an elevator which stalled between a couple of floors, perhaps the sixth and seventh. There were a half dozen of us, roughly evenly divided between men and women. One of the men, thirtyish, said aloud, "Wouldn't you know this would happen to me."

    Can you imagine? Six of us trapped but it was only happening to him!

    Without pause for thought, I said, "That's exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't you know this would happen to you."

    There were smiles from several others, but only a glare from him.

  • Geek Humor:
    1. There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    2. The Y1K problem caused the Dark Ages.
    3. "Beta" is Greek for "I wonder if it works yet."

  • A few years ago a friend called and asked if I would help her brother sell his NASCAR memorabilia collection on eBay. I visited with him and brought home a trunk and back seat full of stuff, mostly race car replicas.

    I did some research, then called him. "Do you have the boxes these cars came in? They'll sell much better with the original boxes."

    "Naw, you don't need the boxes. Just ask my wife."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the elevator story, so represents our day and age...